About us > Origin of the Institute

The Institute of the Sisters of Charity of Sts.Bartolomea Capitanio and Vincenza Gerosa(SCCG) also known as the Sisters of Maria Bambina had its origin in Lovere, Italy. It was founded by a young girl of 26 named Bartolomea Capitanio in 1832. Bartolomea’s inspiration to found an Institute took shape because of her deep love for God and through her involvement in the actual situation of the people of Lovere – her native town.

Having studied in the boarding school of the Poor Clares, she acquired a deep piety under the ever vigilant Mother Francesca Parpani. “I want to be a Saint, a great saint and a saint soon” were the words she uttered at the age of 7 at the ‘Game of Straws’. Her spiritual Director Don Angelo Bosio sensed the working of the Spirit in her and guided her in her spiritual Journey. He urged her to note down all the inspirations she received. This resulted in the inspired document we now call ‘the Foundation Document” which forms the basis of our present Rule of Life. She wrote: “The Institute which will be founded in Lovere is be totally founded on charity and this must be its principle aim…should have as its aim the education of poor young girls…devote itself to the relief of the sick..” In this way she outlined a MISSION which, though starting as a personal response to the needs of her environment was deeply rooted in charity and as such destined to be kept up and to spread beyond the bounds of Lovere.

Bartolomea was helped in her project by Catherine Gerosa, a simple, rich, charitable lady of Lovere. Together they consecrated themselves to God in a simple ceremony on 21 November 1832 at Casa Gaia. Thus began the Congregation of the Sisters of Charity. Bartolomea was called to her eternal reward on 26 July 1833 eight months after founding the Congregation. It was left to Catherine Gerosa, under the able guidance of Don Angelo Bosio to carry on the work begun.

The Institute spread rapidly in many Provinces of Italy. In 1860, Mother Theresa Bosio the first Superior General answered the call of the missions of India and sent four sisters to work in Bengal -India. Thus began the mission of the sisters in India.

About us > History of South East India Province

The South East India Province was born on 29.01.2004, having bifurcated from the Province of Calicut. The South East India Province is comprised of communities present in the whole of Tamil Nadu. Mother PierCarla Mauri appointed Sr. Selvi Singarayan as the first Provincial Superior. Sr. Pauline Joseph, the then Provincial Superior of Calicut Province made all the necessary preliminaries to start off the functioning of the New Provincial and its team. Fatima convent, Gudalur became the privileged home to accommodate the Provincial house. In the beginning the number of the Communities was 13 and the number of the Sisters was 82.

The initial work of the new Provincial team besides animation of the Province was to locate the place for the construction of the Provincial house.  Trichy was chosen and a fitting land was purchased at Manikandam.  On 24.10.2008 the foundation stone was laid by Mother Piercarla Mauri. On 1st December 2010, the new Provincial house was inaugurated and blessed by Most Rev. Dr. Antony Devotta Bishop of Trichy and Most. Rev. Dr. A. Amalraj Bishop of Ooty. Mother Piercarla Mauri officially cut the ribbon and opened the house naming it ‘Mariagam’ (Abode of Mary) placing Maria Bambina in the nitch and inviting everyone to place themselves in her care. The Province is open to the neediest in different parts of the land, where other service organizations did not dare to go. ‘Mariagam’ is also surrounded by other religious congregations.

It was the ardent desire and hard work and earnest prayer of Sr. Selvi Singarayan our first Provincial Superior which brought out a great deal of improvement to this little Province. During her 8 years of mandate as Provincial Superior, St. Joseph's Bhavan - Karanodai, Holy Redeemer's convent - Nagarigathan with offshoot at Kalaikulam and Mea Illam - Pillaithope communities came into existence.

On 27th January 2012, during the III Provincial Chapter Sr. Saly Painadath took charge as the II Provincial Superior in the presence of Mother Annamaria Vigano` Superior General. The new team of the Province assumed their task of animation enthusiastically. The present Provincial Superior Sr. Saly Painadath laid foundation stone for Holy Infant Mary Convent at Kalaikulam on 15th February 2012, and opened the same on 11th February 2013. She has also laid foundation stone for the community building at Pillaithope on 6th February 2013. At present there are 17 communities and one offshoot. Total number of Sisters in the Province is 127 as on 31st December 2012.